Watching the rugby game on a weekly basis is not everyone’s cup of tea. So instead of having to tip-toe around your partner when he is watching the rugby, we have come up with some guidelines that might come in handy to ensure the yelling stays directed at the TV-screen.
- Don’t ask if you can change the channel because you still need to watch this week’s episode of Greys Anatomy. Even during the interval he keeps close to the TV to make sure he doesn’t miss anything. So be advised not to touch the remote control when he is watching the rugby.
- Don’t ask him to explain the game rules, why he is mindlessly yelling at the referee, or when he is going to start the braai because ‘The kids are hungry’. Apples are yummy and make for healthy snacks.
- Do not take it too personal if he ignores you while watching the rugby. He will acknowledge you when the droëwors bowl needs refilling.
- It is not only you who gets a bit bored of watching the rugby. It is also important to ensure that the kids stay at least 2 metres away from the TV-screen at all times to avoid unnecessary yelling, crying and apples flying across the room. Keep the kids busy with colouring books, outdoor activities such as swimming, playing hide-and-seek, and helping in the kitchen by spreading garlic butter on the baguette. You are very welcome to add any other activities to the list when it is your time to catch up on the week’s series.
- As important as it is for the kids not to block the TV screen, it applies even more to you. Don’t be caught thinking that if you bring them more refreshments that they won’t forgive missing 3 seconds of the game. A lot can happen in 3 seconds. So if you absolutely need to make your way past the TV-screen make sure that the players are scrumming somewhere in the middle of the field or during intermission.
So next time your man asks you to fetch him another beer while watching the rugby game, and you are in the kitchen marinating the tjops, just remember that your wineglass is sure to be kept full when it is your time to watch what you want.